23 February 2011

Nation States

I've returned to playing a game called Nation States. It is sort of a government simulation with thousands of players involved. I tried it out once years ago but eventually lost interest. It looks like a number of improvements have been made the last five years and I think I'll have a much longer attention span for it this time.

I no longer had the log-in for my old nation, New Newtopia. Didn't matter because I have now created Free- -Land. I'm starting off pretty good: Excellent Civil Rights, a Thriving Economy, and Superb Political Freedoms.



"The Free Land of Free- -Land is a fledgling, socially progressive nation, renowned for its absence of drug laws. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5 million live in a state of perpetual fear, as a complete breakdown of social order has led to the rise of order through biker gangs.

The tiny, corrupt, pro-business government juggles the competing demands of Religion & Spirituality, Law & Order, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 10%. A robust private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, and Pizza Delivery industries.

Crime is a major problem, and the police force struggles against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Free- -Land's national animal is the Porcupine, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Quatloos."


As of yet I haven't joined the World Assembly; the UN of Nation States. While on one hand it would be great to get endorsements and vote on resolutions, the problem is that any resolution that passes becomes law for all members of the W.A. I'm not sure I want to have my people be at the mercy of others like that at this point.

My first national issue involved a proposal to make voting in elections mandatory. I didn't want to infringe on my citizens' right not to vote so needless to say that proposal failed.

I'll post some semi-regular updates to tell of my experiences with the game. It should be fun. Now I should start work on designing a new flag (right now I'm using the flag of Sealand).

If you happen to be on Nation States be sure to look my nation up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...